Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Stolen Marbles, Rare Books, and Royals! Oh My!


Monday

One of the things I love most about London is everywhere you go there are literary sites.  For example, on the way to the British Museum we saw the building where T.S. Eliot used to work when he worked for Faber & Faber!  There was a blue plaque to denote it, as there are for all such famous sites.  When we got to the British Museum, we first went to the Elgin Marbles that Keats wrote about.  On the way there we saw the Rosetta Stone.  I was excited to see the Marbles, because last summer I was in Greece and realized a good chunk of the Parthenon is in the British Museum.  I can now say I have seen all of the Parthenon (even the replica in Nashville, TN). I also got a nice pamphlet from the museum about why they won’t give the marbles back to Greece.  In addition, I realized the British have stuff from all over the world that is not theirs! Even our stuff! Hmph.
After the marbles, Dr. Coolidge took us to see the medieval artifacts from the Sutton Hoo ship discovery.  It was cool to see things that tied into what we have been reading.  All of the medieval things were beautiful and intricately designed.  It is amazing what they created with such limited technology.  In addition we saw a special exhibit about the evolution of the horse.  All racing thoroughbreds came from three Arabian horses.  There were also videos of the Derby, which excited me greatly, until I realized it was the English Derby, not the Kentucky Derby. 
Afterwards we went to the British Library to see a display of old manuscripts (Note: If you don’t have an intense love of books you may not appreciate these next two paragraphs and wonder: “Why is Shelby raving about old books?”  Feel free to skip ahead.)  Dr. Coolidge directed us towards the old Chaucer and Shakespeare texts.  We also saw parts of the Magna Carta, Jane Austen’s journal, coronation notes from King Henry VIII’s rise to the throne, the original handwritten lyrics to Beatles’ songs, Wordsworth papers, a Gutenberg Bible, and countless others.  My favorite in the room was Jane Austen’s writing desk!!!  I stood there staring at it, open-mouthed, for at least two minutes. 
This was only the beginning of a wonderful experience.  There was a special exhibit called: “From Wastelands to Wonderlands: Writing on Britain” that showcased authors who wrote on Britain.  Dr. Coolidge paid our way in, and the magic began.  If I listed everything I saw, it would be extremely long.  My highlights: a drawing by Tolkien of the Shire for The Hobbit (I got chills as I looked at it), George Eliot’s manuscript for Middlemarch, the manuscript for Persuasion, some original T.S. Eliot publications, a Winnie-the-Pooh book, and a copy of Pygmalion with Shaw’s revisions.  It was an amazing exhibit and made me reconsider my childhood dream to be a librarian.  If I do, I hope I someday work in this library.
Then, we ventured to Kensington Palace and Gardens.  Three of us toured the Palace.  It is beautiful! Royal news for anyone interested: Kate, Will, and Harry will be moving to Kensington soon.  Harry sometimes likes to dress up as a guide and “give tours”.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t there yesterday.  Kensington is where William and Mary lived, Victoria grew up, and where Princess Diana lived for a while.  Only forty rooms are open to the public.  My favorite exhibit centered on Victoria and Albert’s love story.  It was beautiful.   I saw the staircases where they first met! If you have ever seen The Young Victoria, you know what I am talking about. If you haven’t seen it, you should.  After a charming visit to the Palace, we went to see A Midsummer’s Night Dream.  However, that adventure deserves a post all to itself. 

1 comment: